It has been a very uneventful week around here.  In fact, I’ve just been sitting here at my computer, staring at a blank blog page, wondering what on earth I could even write about tonight.

(Which led me to surf Pinterest for a while, as I looked for inspiration to strike down the writer’s block.)

The boy is away at camp, probably fighting mosquitoes like they were an invading army (which is what an overly wet spring will do to a town) and eating more s’mores than his mother probably thinks is acceptable at one sitting.  I’d say that with the boy away we’ve had a QUIET week, but that would be a lie.

It’s because Thing 2 lives here.

And, although we haven’t had anything overly exciting happen, the noise has been maintained at a level that makes audiologists cringe and pull their enormous headphones over their ears in an effort to preserve their hearing, so that it can be used again in their old age.  It’s because Thing 2 simply has no indoor voice.


We’ve simply laid low at home this week, with the central air conditioning cranked to SNOW, because the summer temperatures have finally decided to take root and blossom around here.

Today… I sat on the deck, baking at a temperature usually reserved for getting a nice crust on a prime rib, while Thing 2 spent the entire afternoon playing in his pool.

IMG_3713 IMG_3714 IMG_3717 IMG_3722 IMG_3728 IMG_3730 IMG_3732I was a little concerned that Thing 2’s back and shoulders were sizzling too much, even though they were caked with sunscreen, so I’d like the nominating committee for the Mother of the Year award to sit up and take notice that I ADDED A SHIRT to the swim trunks.

IMG_3739 IMG_3741 IMG_3744 IMG_3748 IMG_3754 IMG_3755 IMG_3758 IMG_3759 IMG_3770 IMG_3771We spent nearly two entire hours AT THE POOL this afternoon, and when we came indoors, it was only 4:10.

I felt like we’d been outside at the pool for an entire week, and it was barely 4:00 in the afternoon.

It wasn’t even time to look around for the concession stand, so that I could order up chicken fingers, tater tots and snow cones to feed my family.

I felt like it should have been midnight.  I was more than ready to simply take a cool shower and go to bed, because I was a hot mess of sweat and watered-down hair, thanks to the squirt bottle and shooting foam plunger that my toddler used to ambush me, while I was trying to read a book in a deck chair.

And really, that sums up exactly what we’ve been doing this week… splashing, reading and fighting the heat, which (if I’m to be completely honest) isn’t even the REAL heat of summer, but the preliminary, PRIMER heat, which simply let’s us know that, YEAH, YOU’D BETTER GET USED TO IT, BECAUSE THE MERCURY IS GOING UP ANOTHER TEN DEGREES NEXT WEEK.

I can hardly wait.

Y’all have a merry Wednesday evening.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.